What This Privacy Statement Covers
Last revised: September 1st, 2023
At Spectrum your privacy is important to us. Spectrum Health Care and its affiliates (collectively, “Spectrum”, “we”, “our” or “us”) are proud of our long-standing commitment to maintaining the confidentiality and security of patients’ and clients’ personal information and have implemented practices to protect the privacy of personal information. Visavie is part of Spectrum Health Care and adheres to the privacy statement.
As part of our commitment, we believe that our patients and clients should know about our privacy practices, including how we collect, use and disclose your personal information, and how to contact us if you have questions about our privacy practices.
This Privacy Statement covers the following topics :
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Share Your Personal Information
- Your Consent
- Opting Out of Marketing Communications
- Retention and Storage of Personal Information
- Information Security
- Your Privacy Rights
- Third-Party Websites and Services
- Changes to this Privacy Statement
- How to Contact Us
Personal Information We Collect
“Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual as described under Canadian privacy laws.
We may collect, use, and disclose different types of personal information, depending on our relationship with you. Generally, we collect the following types of personal information (not all of which may apply to you) :
- identity and contact information, such as your name, marital status, title, date of birth and gender, e-mail address and telephone numbers ;
- personal health information, such as information about your health status, health history, health number, eligibility for or receipt of health care services, care needs and care plans and information about your substitute decision-maker ;
- financial information, such as your bank account number and payment card details used to purchase our services ;
- technical and usage information when you use our website, such as your internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our website ;
- marketing and communications information, such as your preferences for receiving our newsletter.
Generally, personal information does not include any business contact information that is solely used to communicate with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work e-mail address.
We also collect, use, and share aggregated and anonymized data for various purposes, such understanding the demographics of our patients and clients. Aggregated and anonymized data is not considered personal information because it cannot be used to identify you.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We generally use your personal information for the following purposes :
- to determine your eligibility for our services in accordance with our policies and applicable laws ;
- to provide you with our personal support, nursing, senior care, and specialized services ;
- to respond to your inquiries, complaints, or requests ;
- to communicate with you through our newsletter and to advise you about new programs and services that may be of interest to you ;
- to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our operations, services, and programs ;
- to manage our business and our arrangements with our clients and funding agencies, including to detect and prevent errors and fraud ;
- for such other purposes as you may consent to from time to time and as otherwise required or permitted by law.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We generally identify to whom, and for what purposes, we will disclose your personal information (and we obtain your consent to such disclosure) at the time we collect your personal information.
If you are a patient, we may disclose your personal information to other health care providers o facilitate the provision of your health care. This helps to coordinate care and ensure that everyone involved in your health care has the right information to meet your health care needs.
We may disclose your information when we believe such disclosure is required or permitted by law.
We rely on service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, such as payment card processors, technical support providers, and data storage and processing service providers. If we transfer your personal information to a service provider, we require that they maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and keep it secure. We also require that our service providers comply with applicable privacy laws and only use your personal information for the limited purposes for which it is provided.
We collect, use, and disclose your personal information with your consent or as permitted or required by law. How we obtain your consent, including whether it is express or implied, will depend on the circumstances and the sensitivity of the personal information in question. Generally, we will seek your consent at the time we collect your personal information, either orally, electronically or in writing.
If you provide personal information about another individual to us, it is your responsibility to obtain the consent of that individual to enable us to collect, use and disclose their information as described in this Privacy Statement.
If you wish to withdraw your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, or place limits on who can access your personal health information for health care purposes, please contact us. We will accommodate your request, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Withdrawal of your consent may mean that we will no longer be able to provide you with certain services.
If you do not wish to accept cookies, you can adjust your web browser settings so that you automatically deny the storage of cookies or are informed each time a website requests to store a cookie. Previously stored cookies can also be deleted through your web browser. Please refer to your web browser’s help pages for more information. Some areas or features of our website rely on cookies and may not work if you delete or decline cookies.
We do not use your personal information to engage in interest-based or behavioral advertising of our services across third-party websites or service offerings.
Opting Out of Marketing Communications
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us, you may opt out by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email you receive from us. You may also opt out by contacting us directly.
If you opt out from receiving marketing-related e-mails, we may still need to send you communications about your use of our services or other matters.
Retention and Storage of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, and as permitted or required by law. We (and our service providers) only process your personal information within Canada.
We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual, and technological security measures in an effort to protect your personal information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example :
- we train our employees and agents on the importance of safeguarding personal information ;
- we restrict access to your personal information to those employees or agents who need access for authorized purposes ;
- we protect personal information in electronic form using technological means such as firewalls, access controls, and encryption.
Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will always be effective. A breach of security safeguards can result in risks such as phishing and identity theft. In such cases, we will act promptly to mitigate the risks and to inform you where there is a real risk of significant harm, or as otherwise required by law.
If you have reason to believe that your personal information is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
Your Privacy Rights
We expect you to supply us with updates to your personal information, when required. We will not routinely update your personal information unless such a process is necessary.
You may make a request to review any personal information about you that we have collected, used, or disclosed, and we will provide you with any such personal information to the extent required by applicable laws.
You may also challenge the accuracy or completeness of your personal information in our records. If you demonstrate that your personal information in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend your personal information as required.
We may require that you provide sufficient identification to fulfill your request to access or correct your personal information. Any such identifying information will be used only for this purpose. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information, in which case we will first provide you with an estimate of the fees.
If you object to how we handle your request, you may have the right to make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario in relation to health privacy matters or, if the complaint relates to other privacy matters, to the applicable federal or provincial privacy commissioner.
Third-Party Websites and Services
We may provide links to third-party websites for your convenience and information. Those other websites are governed by the privacy statements and policies of the respective third party. This Privacy Statement does not extend to any websites, products, or services provided by third parties. We do not assume responsibility for the privacy practices of third parties and we encourage you to review all third-party privacy statements prior to using third-party websites, products, or services.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
The Privacy Statement was last revised as of the date that appears at the top of this page.
From time to time, we may make changes to this Privacy Statement. When changes are made, they will become immediately effective when published in a revised Privacy Statement posted on our website, unless otherwise noted. We may also communicate the changes to this Privacy Statement by other means.
How to Contact Us
Visavie has appointed a Privacy Officer who oversees all client and patient privacy issues and concerns. If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Statement or our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Officer :
Attention: Laurent Sirois, 1474 Fleury Street East, Suite 100, Montreal, Quebec, H2C 1S1